A few months ago I participated in an online survey of freelancers and their business, and they just released their results! They surveyed nearly 1,500 freelancers across 50 industries and multiple countries.
Here’s a cool little infographic summing up the data:
Here are a few other stats that I found cool.
- 18% of the freelancers surveyed are writers. We’re the second most common type of freelancer out there! And if you combine us with copywriters (10%), we’d be first!
- 20% of freelancers say finding clients is their biggest challenge. On the other hand, most freelancers spend only 5 hours a month or less looking. What does that tell you? We complain a lot, that’s what!
- Referrals are the number one method of finding clients, followed by word of mouth. Yes, students: networking is important.
- Videographers/video editors have the most trouble getting paid on time. Really! And I thought I had it bad!
- Photographers have the toughest time managing time and staying productive. Can any photographers out there chime in and verify this?
All in all, very interesting stuff. I would’ve liked to see more non-North American freelancers represented (that really would’ve screwed with the average income numbers, come to think of it), but the report is still pretty good overall.
So what’s my take-away from all this? Well, I probably need to review my rates. And call up a few old clients.
You can download the full report here: